Monday, January 24, 2011

Meringues


I made meringues for the first time over the weekend. It was much easier than i thought it would be - much easier than pavlova! I used the old Edmond's cookbook recipe which had baking powder in it. Plus it only used two egg whites, which is much less than a lot of recipes, so it didn't leave me with heaps of wasted egg yolks.They were definitely a success, if I do say so myself!


Here's my version of the the recipe I used:

2 egg whites
 6 tablespoons sugar (caster sugar is best)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3 drops food colouring (optional)

Preheat oven to 140 degrees Celcius (275 F). Beat egg whites until quite stiff, then add half of the sugar and beat again. Add the remainder of the sugar and beat in. Add baking powder, beat, and then add food colouring. Add more food colouring than the colour you want because the colour fades in baking.
Cover a large tray in baking paper.
I then cut the corner off a plastic sandwich bag and attached my largest icing tip to it, securing with a rubber band. Fold over the top of the bag and spoon in the meringue mixture. Firmly squeeze the mixture out in one spot, gently lifting and tapering the end to create a 'gem'. Make them small and spaced out as they expand when baking. Bake in oven for about 45 mins or until swelled and hardened.

Voila! Easy, no?
Serve with whipped cream and raspberries. Yum!


2 comments:

Kc said...

These look yummy! :) your blog is very cool, following you, hope you can visit mine sometime :)

Kc

http://a-sparkley-silver-lining.blogspot.com/

Tine Swijns said...

looks god!

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com // PS Brush by Pink On Head